Sunday 3 March 2013

Walnut and seeded Soda Bread

About 10 years ago when I was at uni...okay its probably longer than 10 years ago haha, I used to buy a bread that was just wonderful, the flavours and textures were fantastic but I didn't ever pay attention at what it was or what the name was, i just bought it and ate it and all of a sudden the shop didn't sell it anymore! But this weekend I decided to make a soda bread and rather than a boring plain one i decided to add some nuts and seeds...so off I went with the help of my three year old son and we produced the walnut and seeded soda bread...I took a bite and it was exactly like the bread I had regularly bought years ago and had never found anything even similar in taste....now I can enjoy it again and again woohoo :)

Walnut and Seeded Soda Bread

170g self-raising flour
170g wholemeal plain flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp brown sugar
Hand full of walnuts
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1tbsp Sunflower seeds
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
290ml/½ pint buttermilk or yoghurt

Preheat the oven to 200C/190 fan
Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda and walnuts and seeds into a large mixing bowl and stir.
Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet
Cut a cross on the top and sprinkle with flour and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment