Tuesday 11 June 2013

Butternut Squash and Coconut Pancakes

It's amazing how far one butternut squash can go and finally after four days I managed to use it all :) I did a wonderful butternut squash, feta, rocket and pine nut barley salad, pasta with butternut squash, pancetta, goats cheese and pine nuts and a butternut squash and goats cheese salad and finally today I knew I had to come up with something different...so while I was driving back from a play session with my son it came to me...Butternut Squash and Coconut Pancakes. Okay this may sound unusual but these are some of my favourite flavours and decided that why not combine them, the end result was wonderful. The taste is lovely and just the right amount of sweetness but perfect to go with a meat dish as well as some lovely goats cheese...honestly give them a try 

Butternut Squash and Coconut Pancakes

200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 heaped tbsp dessicated Coconut
1 egg
300ml Coconut Milk
170g butternut squash cut into small cubes and cooked in oil and ground cinnamon

In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, coconut and salt and mix

In a jug add the coconut milk and egg and whisk

Mash up the cooked butternut squash 

Pour the milk mixture in with the dry ingredients and then add the butternut squash and whisk until fully incorporated

Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium high heat

Pour out any excess oil and spoon some of the batter into your pan

Cook until golden underneath and turn over and cook on the other side

Once cooked remove from the pan and continue with the rest of the batter

I served mine with a goats cheese salad with some honey and maple BBQ pork steaks




No comments:

Post a Comment