Sunday 30 June 2013

Strawberries and Cream Shortbread Slices

It's strawberry season and of course Wimbledon so I decided my next recipe would of course be strawberry related....but I have a confession to make, I'm not the biggest fan :( I know how could this be, I actually don't know many people that don't like strawberries but I've never been a big fan, I can quite happily take them or leave them, I'm not that fussed. I have recently tried a couple of recipes with strawberries and I have enjoyed them but I much prefer some
Pineapple or melon :)) but I decided that what the hell lets get into the english summer vibe and do a strawberry treat and this really is such a lovely recipe that even for a short while im a convert...of course you can substitute for raspberries and it tastes just a nice, trust me I've done both hehe :))

So here it is, this is a great snack and fab for picnics and if you really wanted to go all out why not add some custard....not like I've ever done it....ummmmm :/

Strawberries and Cream Shortbread Slice

250g butter softened
90g caster sugar (and extra for sprinkling) 
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
140g semolina

8 tbsp strawberry jam
12 tsp mascarpone 

Pre heat the oven to 180/170c fan
Lightly butter a 20cm square tin, loose base or shallow or a foil tin which works really well with this.

In a bowl add the butter, sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
Ad the vanilla extract and mix well

Add the flour and semolina and mix in, use your hands to bring the dough together

Split the dough into two and take one half and put this into the bottom on the pan and pat down to cover the bottom.

Spread over the strawberry jam being careful not to move the shortbread dough

Spoon on the mascarpone

Roll out the other piece of dough and careful place on top of the jam and mascarpone, the dough is quite crumbly so don't worry if it breaks just join the pieces and smooth over 

Prick the top with a fork all over and pop into the oven for 30 minutes until it starts to go golden round the edges

Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely and then sprinkle with some caster sugar and cut into squares :))

Please feel free to use any other flavour jam such as raspberry which also works really well in this recipe or even some gooseberries :))

Adapted from a good food recipe 




No comments:

Post a Comment