Saturday 15 June 2013

Healthy Courgette, Banana, and Coconut Oat Loaf

I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment, I've taken up swimming and I've been going 4 times a week and honestly at first I thought I would have to be dragged out the pool after about 2 lengths but I quite surprised myself and now after 4 weeks I'm on 64 lengths (1 mile)...with that and eating healthy even though I don't eat rubbish anyway, I thought it was about time to develop some sweet healthy recipes. I must say I'm always disappointed at results that come up when you search for healthy recipes as some of the ingredients are good foods, ie fruit or veg but then add in the large amount of sugar and it can't really be constituted as healthy, so I was on a mission! I had seen a recipe a while ago that sounded great so off to my kitchen I went to develop my own version and it was a huge success, tasty, healthy and without the guilt...no sugar! Hard to believe I know but honestly these mini loafs (or loaf) really do taste fantastic and you would never know that you didn't have the sugar piled into them! These are perfect for kids as well as loads of good foods packed into them and as long as you get gluten free oats, they are perfect for gluten free diet as well as there is no flour :)) 

Healthy Courgette, Banana and Coconut Oat Loaf

1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup oats (not instant)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp honey
1 banana mashed (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup courgette grated
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/3-1/2 cup pistachio nuts (crushed)

Pre heat the oven to 180/170c fan

Add the ground almonds, oats, baking soda and cinnamon to a bowl and mix

In a jug add the eggs, vanilla extract, oil and honey and whisk until incorporated

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and then add the mashed banana, the grated courgette, desiccated coconut and pistachios and mix well.

Pour into either a lightly oiled loaf tin or lightly oiled mini loaf tins (I used 4 mini ones)

Pop into the pre heated oven and bake for around 15-18 minutes, until golden in colour and a skewer comes out clean




No comments:

Post a Comment